Johannesburg, South Africa
The 3-day national workshop, “'Consensus-Building' on the Implementation of ILO Recommendation 204 on Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy," was convened by the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the National Economic Development and Labour Council (NEDLAC) in Johannesburg, South Africa. The workshop aimed to reach agreement on practical steps to be taken at national and city levels for the implementation of the ILO Recommendation 204 on Transitioning to Formality.
Workshop participants included local and national government officials and representatives from informal worker organizations, community-based organizations, cooperatives, organized labour, and business.
Pat Horn of StreetNet International attended the workshop as one of the representatives of local informal worker organizations and Vanessa Pillay of WIEGO attended in an advisory capacity in support of informal worker organizations.
- Read the WIEGO Network Platform: Transitioning from the Informal to the Formal Economy in the Interest of Workers in the Informal Economy
- Read about WIEGO's participation in the 2015 International Labour Conference on Facilitating Transitions from the Informal to the Formal Economy
- Read Myths & Facts about the Informal Economy and Workers in the Informal Economy
- Read Informality and Illegality: Unpacking the Relationship
- Watch WIEGO's video on Organizing for Change