Are you a journalist seeking expert comment on informal economy issues or information on WIEGO's work? This page is for you.
(For non-media requests or general comments, please visit Contact Us.)
Mobile (Canada): +613 882 3364
WIEGO has experts who can speak knowledgeably about:
- informal economy issues, trends and informal workers' rights (to legal and social protection, to safe and secure livelihoods)
- taxation and taxing informal workers
- statistics in the informal economy
- waste and waste picking, ocean plastic waste
- street and market vendors
- home-based work, global value chains
- collective bargaining in the informal economy
- formalizing the informal economy and the future of work
- gender issues in informal employment, including violence, harassment, child care and health care
- non-standard work in developed countries
NEWS and PRESS RELEASES
FAST FACTS on the INFORMAL ECONOMY
Questions about what we do and why? Here are some fast facts.
Find infographics that explain key ideas about informal work, including for these sectors:
Waste pickers contribute significantly to cities and the environment. Download the full infographic in English or Spanish. Please contact email@example.com for this infographic.
Home-based workers earn just $1-3 a day. Download the full infographic in French and Spanish. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for this infographic.
Street vendors are the lifeblood of cities globally. Download these key figures. Please contact email@example.com for this infographic.
Homeworkers are some of the world's most vulnerable workers. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for this infographic.
The amazing images of informal workers can be accessed and used for free thanks to a generous grant from the Hewlett Foundation. Hewlett partnered with WIEGO with Getty photographers to capture informal workers from six cities around the globe in 2015. See images of empowerment and licensing info.