The WIEGO Network consists of individuals and institutions from three broad constituencies:
- membership-based organizations (MBOs) of informal workers such as trade unions, cooperatives, and worker associations
- researchers and statisticians who carry out research, data collection, or data analysis on the informal economy
- practitioners from development agencies (inter-governmental, governmental, and non-governmental) who provide services to or shape policies towards the informal workforce
MBOs of informal workers who are active in WIEGO are invited to become our Institutional Members.
Individuals from the other two constituencies who are active in WIEGO are invited to become our Individual Members.
As of November 2018, the WIEGO network had 211 Members – 39 Institutional and 172 Individual Members – from around the globe.
Read the WIEGO MBO Newsletter.
The WIEGO Team includes over 50 specialists based around the world. Only a small segment work full-time for WIEGO. Many also play important roles as teachers, researchers and consultants for other institutions.
- The WIEGO Ltd. Office in Manchester, UK includes Operations and Finance Teams.
- The Communications Team is based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Members of our Programme Teams live and work in more than 12 countries in both the global South and North. This allows WIEGO to create and maintain strong partnerships and alliances in all regions.
A 10-person Board of Directors governs the WIEGO network. Board members are drawn from our three constituencies and come from diverse backgrounds and different regions. The Board has two committees: a Management (or executive) Committee and a Financial Committee. Meet our Board.