Durban, South Africa
On November 1st and 3rd 2017, the FES-WIEGO Child Care and Social Protection for Informal Workers – International Meeting is going to be held in Durban, South Africa. Co-organised by WIEGO and FES, this meeting seeks to bring together some of the member-based organizations working on child care with the Global Union Federations (ITUC, PSI and IUF) and representatives from the relevant UN agencies, such as ILO and UNICEF.
The aim of the meeting is to share experiences and develop national and international advocacy plans to promote child care as a critical component of social protection systems for all workers including informal workers. This draws on the child care campaign WIEGO launched earlier this year and the materials will be shared at the meeting.
Amongst the organisations that will send representatives to the event, there are Economic Justice Network, GAMA, HomeNet Thailand, ILO, ITUC, IUF, SADSAWU, SAITA, SAIWA, SASEWA, SAWPA, Umbumbano and UNICEF. Laura Alfers and Rachel Moussie, WIEGO’s Director and Deputy Director of the Social Protection programme, respectively, will be attending the event.
- Visit WIEGO's Social Protection programme webpage
- Visit WIEGO’s Law programme webpage
- Visit WIEGO’s Organization & Representation programme
- Read Laura Alfers' blog post on Informal Workers' Access to Health
- Learn more about WIEGO Informal Economy Budget Analysis
- Learn about the August 2016 Special Issue of New Solutions focused on Health and Safety for Informal Workers
- WIEGO Blog on Social Protection
- VIDEO: Informal Workers’ Access to Health