WIEGO - Focal Cities Initiative
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Context of WIEGO's focal cities
Women in Informal Employment: Globalization and Organization (WIEGO) is a global network dedicated to promoting the empowerment of poor working people - especially women - in the informal economy to secure their livelihoods. We believe that all working people should have the same rights, economic opportunities and protections, and be able to express themselves on an equal footing. To promote change, WIEGO aims to improve statistics and expand knowledge about the informal economy, to build networks and strengthen the capacity of informal workers' organizations and, in collaboration with these networks and organizations, to influence local, national and international policies.
The WIEGO Focal City approach supports grassroots organizations (MBOs) in their efforts to improve outcomes for urban informal workers. Focal Cities builds the capacity of leaders of informal workers and their organizations, and promotes dialogue between them and city authorities.
Context of Focal Cities' work in Dakar
Despite the weight of the informal economy on Senegal's GDP, the voices of informal workers are not taken into account and national and local public policies continue to ignore their realities and needs. In fact, far from recognizing their contributions, policies increasingly punish the livelihoods of these workers.
Currently, the COVID-19 pandemic and the health measures needed to prevent the spread of the disease are often used to argue that these workers are vectors of the disease to clear and displace them from their workplaces, affecting the livelihoods of these individuals and their families. Without work and without access to government support, the precarious situation of these workers is exacerbated.
In response to this threat, the Dakar Focal City team has developed a strategy on how to respond in 2020. During this process, we identified strategic communications as a key area to be strengthened during this period, including the possibility of developing a campaign to counter negative media reaction to informal workers in the public space as well as material reclaimers.
To accompany the Dakar Focal City team in the implementation of the strategic communication plan (including a social media strategy), which will be articulated with the advocacy efforts of reclaimers and workers in the public space, and to promote awareness among workers in all sectors as legitimate economic actors contributing to the economy and society. This work should be planned with the CFL team and in consultation with the communications team and partner organizations of the ROs.
- Have a university degree or authorized training school in journalism/communication and at least 5 years of professional experience in the field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
- A good understanding and previous experience in social media
- Understand the informal sector have a real capacity and/or willingness to adapt in this area and among its workers.
Specific tasks include
Implementation and adaptation of the communication plan:
In consultation with the Dakar Focal City team, the WIEGO communications team, the consultant will :
- Develop plans for the implementation, and adaptation, of the communication plan's lines of work.
- Identify and facilitate the development of the necessary communication resources and materials (visual, written and audiovisual) (including flyers, social network/web site/intranet accounts/publications, videos, PowerPoint presentations, press releases, business reports etc.) according to WIEGO's brand guidelines.
- Occasional training of Dakar Focal City staff for engagement with the media and for informal workers on communication strategies
- To develop and maintain regular contact with media specialists in order to define and develop the city's media str
- Develop and maintain regular contact with media specialists to define and develop the city's media strategy and create and maintain a database of contacts.
- Facilitate interviews with the media for workers and accompany them in the development of communication actions if necessary.
- Identify target audiences and key stakeholders for strategic communications
- Identify appropriate channels and potential communication activities to reach each audience
Liaise with the WIEGO communication team:
- Quarterly and at the beginning of each month, provide updates to the WIEGO communications team on upcoming events and communication priorities for Dakar Focal City.
- Communicate with and provide content to the WIEGO communications team and Dakar Focal City Councillor before and after events (for example, to coordinate the production of event web pages and send supporting documentation)
- On an ongoing basis, by adding upcoming events and activities to the WIEGO Events Calendar and the quarterly Focal City planning document
- Collaborate with the communications team for social media information sharing
- The consultant will work with the communication team to write articles for the WIEGO blog or website, if requested by the Dakar Focal City Coordinator and/or the Dakar Focal City Advisor.
Ongoing communications support:
- Provide strategic communications to Dakar Focal City activities as required, including calling the press, organizing press conferences, writing press releases, etc.
- Ensure assistance in the form of translation and interpretation for the Dakar Focal City team.
- Participate in Dakar Focal City coordination meetings.
- Prepare reports and evaluations on communication initiatives
- Work in tandem with the Dakar Focal Cities team for the preparation of the semi-annual reports.
- Support the Dakar Focal City team with translations/interpretations in their meetings with other members of WIEGO and/or other institutions or organizations if the need is expressed.
The consultant will work under the supervision of Dakar Focal City Coordinator Adama SOUMARÉ and Dakar Focal City Advisor Olga ABIZAID.
Schedule and Remuneration
Days worked must be accounted for. The consultant may send an invoice for the days worked at the end of each month. The contract covers a maximum of 8 days per month. The daily rate will be negotiated according to experience, skills and the role.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and reviewed upon receipt. Interviews will be scheduled immediately with shortlisted candidates. Therefore, we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible as the advert will be removed once an appointment has been made.