Workers' Resources & Capacity Building Materials
Photo by Jonathan Torgovnik/Getty Images Reportage
These resources from WIEGO and partners can be downloaded and shared for free.
The Only School We Have: Learning from Organizing Experiences Across the Informal Economy (also available in Spanish) -- A guidebook for building membership-based organizations. Success stories from around the world highlight the importance of mobilizing workers.
Organizing in the Informal Economy
Six booklets (also available in French, Portuguese and Spanish)
- Recruiting Informal Workers into Democratic Workers’ Organisations (ICC1)
- Building and Maintaining a Democratic Organisation of Informal Workers (ICC2)
- Handling the Day-To-Day Problems of Informal Workers (ICC3)
- Collective Negotiations for Informal Workers (ICC4)
- Handling Disputes between Informal Workers and those in Power (ICC5)
- Collective Action for Informal Workers (ICC6)
We Are Workers, Too! by Celia Mather, a resource manual for home-based workers
Tools for Advocacy: Social Protection for Informal Workers by Francie Lund and Jillian Nicholson
Promoting the ILO Home Work Convention (C177) and the Rights of Homeworkers: A Manual for Workers’ Educators and Facilitators by Dave Spooner and Celia Mather
Case study: Refusing to be Cast Aside: Waste Pickers Organising Around the World (Melanie Samson)
Options for Organizing Waste Pickers in South Africa by Jan Theron
Training Manuals: Developing Leadership and Business Skills for Informal Women Workers in Fair Trade
- Introduction & Training Module 1: Understanding Gender and Employment Relations
- Training Module 2: Understanding Women's Economic and Social Contribution to Effective Poverty Reduction
- Training Module 3: Promoting Democratic Participation and Accountability
- Training Module 4: Enhancing Financial and Business Management Skills
- Training Module 5: Understanding the Market
- Training Module 6: Quality Management Systems
- Training Module 7: Improving Innovation and Production Techniques
- SEWA Academy produces materials and arranges exposure visits on organizing MBOs based on the SEWA experience.
- Visit Building Organizations on the Inclusive Cities website.
- The International Domestic Workers' Federation has a Resources section.
- StreetNet International's Organising Strategies web page offers resources.
- StreetNet International Manifesto Campaign Guide 2013
Labour Organization and Trade Union Materials
- ITUC, 2011, Decent Work, Decent Life for Domestic Workers
- International Federation of Workers’ Education Associations, 2009, Building Democratic Worker Organisation and Representation Resource Pack
- International Labour Organization (ILO) publications