PrepCom3: Third Preparatory Committee of the Habitat III Conference
July 25, 2016 - July 27, 2016
A WIEGO Network delegation made up of informal worker representatives, researchers, organizers and technical support individuals attended PrepCom3, to ensure informal workers' voices would be represented in the forthcoming New Urban Agenda. In preparation for the event, WIEGO worked collaboratively with informal workers organizations to develop a guide for local and nation governments (vea en español) seeking to implement the New Urban Agenda in a participatory and inclusive way.
WIEGO’s goals for the Habitat III process were to create spaces for informal workers and their representative organizations to have their voices heard, to make visible the positive contributions of informal livelihoods to cities, and to advocate for urban policy approaches that would result in greater livelihood security for urban informal workers.
Scenes from PrepCom3
Check out highlights from each day of the WIEGO Network's participation in PrepCom 3:
- Learn more about WIEGO's involvement in the Habitat III process.
- Read WIEGO's response to the Zero Draft of the New Urban Agenda.
- Read WIEGO's Policy Document on Implementing the New Urban Agenda (vea en español)
Blog Posts and Backgrounders
- Sally Roever World Urban Campaign piece: The People’s Economy and the Future of Cities
- Marty Chen Citiscope article: The New Urban Agenda must prompt planners to recognize informal labor
- Citiscope backgrounder: What is Habitat III?
- Citiscope backgrounder: What is the New Urban Agenda?